Monday, February 4, 2013

What's New From the Shelves!


Hello, dear readers!

I thought that for fun today, I would give you a taste of what I've been reading over the past, say, four to six months. And so, without further ado, here is a glimpse into all of the radical, counter-culture, seditious literature that has been forming my literary ventures (i.e. when I lock myself in the bathroom to brush my teeth without company and read for two minutes before diving back into the fray).

"Amazing Grace: The History and Theology of Calvinism" - We actually watched the video edition of this, and it took us about three or more months to finish (we did perhaps 15 minutes per night). Wonderful material, very well done, and it sparked some wonderful conversations!! I highly recommend this film.



"What Is Reformed Theology?" by R. C. Sproul - It doesn't get much better than Sproul... and this was great! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I am not new to the doctrines of grace, so this wasn't too hard to wade through, but I still think it would be a good intro for anyone studying reformed theology.





"The Coconut Oil Miracle" - I've heard about this book for years and finally decided to look it up! Some of the nutritional info is a bit dated, but it's a great source of information about coconut oil and the health benefits thereof.






"Raising Godly Tomatoes" - I would be lying if I said that I wasn't doing a fair bit of nail-biting as I anticipate the rapidly approaching "terrible twos" - which, as we all know, are really the "terrible one-two-three-fours." Frankly, I shiver at the very thought. That being the case, I am nervously thumbing through my favorite parenting book in order to be ready (and to do all the training I can before the dreaded tantrum age begins). *Shiver*



"The Federal Husband" by Douglas Wilson - DH and I are studying the concept of federal headship (fascinating topic!), and I decided to dive into this book. Don't you just love a book that seems written to get people mad? I do! This guy is a master at the art of blunt speaking, and he had me in stitches throughout the book, even in the parts with which I disagreed (which were few). Highly recommend this book.
"Common Sense Parenting" - Love this book! I got it a few years ago and decided it was time for a re-read. This book is rich in ideas for creating positive family culture (traditions, meal times, etc.), and I find that it has tons of reminders and helpful advice for creating good family life.







"In God We Trust: Why Biblical Authority Matters for Every Believer" by Steve Ham - This book was excellent! Thoroughly eye-opening, and it gave me so much to think about. Highly recommended!
"The Lie: Evolution" by Ken Ham - I have been raised, trained, and immersed in evolutionary theory from early childhood through college. Now it's time to see what the other side has to say. The verdict? I'm going back for more. Which leads me to...



..."Why Won't They Listen? The Power of Creation Evangelism" by Ken Ham - More great stuff by the same great guy! I'm currently in the middle of it, and it is really good stuff. I love it when people bring up things that are very evident in the Bible, but which have completely escaped me for the time. Good stuff.
"Wives and Daughters" by Elizabeth Gaskell - My light reading at the moment (and possibly my favorite book ever!). We were introduced to the movie (excellent!) by a dear friend, and I love the book as well - though the great tragedy of the ages is that Gaskell died before finishing the book (and no one else has ever attempted it, that I know of). My favorite - highly recommended!
"Return to the Hundred Acre Wood" - Have you ever read the real "Winnie the Pooh" series by A.A. Milne (not the Disney stuff!)? It is excellent! And this is one rare case in which a new author has managed to take over the tradition very capably - though this book is only "in the style of A.A. Milne," it is excellent and I can't wait to read it to the kids when they're a bit older!
"Homeschooling with Joy" - Despite the fact that I tend to misquote the title as "Homeschooling with Comfort and Joy" (breastfeeding moms will get this one!), this is an excellent book, put out by a delightful Mennonite company that I absolutely love. Every chapter can stand alone on a specific topic, and each is helpful with advice, tips, and encouragement.
"Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch" - This is excellent! Truly excellent! I have always been a big fan of Queen Elizabeth II, and this book only increased that respect. This book was a great education in
British history and politics, and it was both informative and a joy to read.







"A Weed in the Church" - The companion book to the film "Divided." It was definitely an "Ack! I can't put this book down!" type of book. I enjoyed this tremendously!





So.... have all y'all been reading anything stupendous and life-changing recently? Do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!