Thursday, February 21, 2013

Homemade Dye-Free Lemon-Orange Jello Jigglers!

I ran across this recipe for Lemon-Orange Jello Stars over at Gutsy, and decided that we had to try it! I love Jell-O desserts, but I tend to shy away from them most of the time due to the artificial dye content. This all-natural version looked just awesome.

See the original website for the healthier recipe (organic oranges, raw honey, etc.). This version that we worked out is the bourgeois version, which is what we're using while on a zero-budget. Enjoy! (Check out the original article, regardless of which recipe you use - great information!)

Lemon-Orange Jigglers

1 cup orange juice
1 cup lemon juice
5 tablespoons sugar (adjust to taste)
3 1/2 tablespoons gelatin

Whisk all ingredients together; let sit 5 minutes. Melt over low heat (I use a bowl over boiling water). Pour into greased molds (I used mini-muffin tins, not having molds). Let sit until firm, then pop out and enjoy!



To make a less-firm version, like regular Jell-O, I suspect that one could double the juices and sugar, while leaving the gelatin amount constant. I plan to try this!

These were lovely - a sweet, delicate orange color and lovely aroma (and taste, so the family tells me!) - with no food dyes!



Hope you all enjoy these!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!