Thursday, January 17, 2013

Okay, So I Was Wrong! (Part One of Many)

When we first started homeschooling, I considered making lesson plans to be somewhat unnecessary. What's to plan? Just do the next page!

But over the past few months, a couple of things have become clear:

First - Things go better when I plan ahead. Right now I'm only doing a bit of planning for our "extras" - field trips, science experiments, cooking projects, crafts, etc. Our academics, for the most part, still follow the "do the next page" plan - though I know that we will need to become more formally planned in the future.

Second - Having tallied up our remaining work pages for the year and done some math to figure out how long we will take to finish, it turns out that (due to our more laissez-faire approach during the first half of the year), we will be working far past my target end-date. Yikes! I hadn't realized that we had fallen behind, but I am now having to be much more strict in our weekly schedule to ensure that we will finish our kindergarten curriculum by the end of the school year.

And so... here is my first lesson-planning sheet! Again, this is just for our extras:


For our workbook-type academics, I'm using a "schedule" but not specifically a "lesson plan":



And for our non-scheduled academics (and to record our extras), I just keep records as we go along:


And so... my introduction to lesson-planning begins! I don't know where I'll go from here, but it's a constant adventure in learning, in trying new things, and in making mistakes and trying again. Things are never dull when learning about home education!

How much lesson planning do you do for your homeschool?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!