Sunday, January 16, 2011

What Year Is It, Again?

This past week, a friend posted on Facebook: "So, how are you all doing with your New Year's Resolutions?"

I told her that I would be glad to update her, but for the small fact that I had forgotten what mine were and would have to go look them up to see.

Such is the eternal fate of my New Year's Resolutions.

Normally, as a matter of fact, I have a strict policy against New Year's Resolutions. In the past, I found that with any life change I wanted to make, if I was serious about it, I did it immediately. If I subconsciously didn't intend to follow through with it, I would put it off till New Year's.

Then, at New Year's, I would write up a grand list of resolutions, resolve firmly to follow them, put them carefully away, and then not see them again until I ran across them accidentally in a forgotten notebook - ten years later.

So - away with resolutions!

But I do like to look back at each past year and examine how I want my life to be different. I did that this year, with the unexpected result of ending up with an entire page of New Year's Resolutions.

Which I promptly forgot.

However, I just looked them up again, and they are things that I want to work on. Continuous prayer for my marriage and parenting skills. Working consciously to neglect my hobbies (which can become obsessive if I don't watch them) while building up my family and home. Better health habits (baby weight, begone!) such as walking and working on a healthier diet and getting more sleep. Continually working and reading on life simplification, parenting skills, spiritual growth, and kindness of attitude and speech.

I've got a lot to work on!

Two more Christmas stories from this past month:

This year I experienced that heady nirvana, that sweet smell of victory - I found the perfect Christmas gift. Yes! I did! I really did!

It was a copy of "Going Back to Bisbee", a travelogue-style journal of Arizona culture and history that I read and absolutely adored - and which I knew would be perfect for my dad, who loves such classics as "Thousand Mile Summer" (highly recommended!!!).

There is the additional issue of the fact that I am a terrible gift giver. Just terrible. When I need to buy a gift, I usually tell the person, "Tell me exactly what you want, or you are pretty sure to get something you'll hate." I have zilch-o imagination in that area.

So, once inspired, I bought the book, zealously awaited its arrival, wrapped it up, and presented it with baited breath, knowing that for ONCE, I had purchased the perfect gift. 

My dad's reaction?

He was supremely unimpressed. I believe his vocal response was something like "Mmmm."

But that's okay. That's how my dad is. I think the most emotion I've ever seen him express is a slight lifting of the eyebrows, accompanied by an "Ah, well."

Though I would have appreciated some bouncing up and down, along with, "Oh, wow! What a great gift! Boy, I can't wait to read it!"

But from my dad? Not happening.

(When DH met my dad for the first time, that is, when he was coming to pick me up for a date, he left under the impression that my dad hated him and would be awaiting his return with a loaded pistol. Which, for my dad, was a friendly greeting. I had thought it went rather well, in fact.)

Also....

This Christmas I had wanted to do the "making a birthday cake for baby Jesus" activity, to attempt to reinforce the Christmas message. But we were so busy this year that I neglected to get around to it... until Christmas day (I decided to use the cake for our dessert). After presents had been opened. Brilliant, no?

So it went something like this:

Me: "Come on into the kitchen! We're going to make a birthday cake for baby Jesus!"

DS, in the middle of his newly-opened gifts: "Nooooo! I don't waaannnnaaa make a birthday cake for baby Jesus!"

It was a short-lived craft, to be sure. Next year - memo to do this earlier!

Now off to do some work! I am home "sick" from church with some wicked allergies, and I've been enjoying the chance to blog. In fact, I have several more entries I'd like to do! However, our littlest one is getting bored and/or comatose sitting on my lap, so I need to move on. Maybe if I have another few minutes after doing something productive! Happy Sunday, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!