Monday, July 2, 2012

Homeschooling, The First Year: Books for Kindergarteners

One of the records I have recently begun keeping is a "good books" list, and I love it! I order books every week through our library, and I realized that I did not want to have to do the research looking for book titles and lists again every time we have a child in an age group. Thus, I have started my own record of good books, listed by age-appropriateness - preschool, kindergartener (age 4-6), early elementary, late elementary, junior high, and high school. I wish I'd started keeping this list years ago! 

While my lists are going to grow exponentially, I thought I'd share my kindergarten list with you all - it's missing a lot of books, but I'm working on it! It's an exciting project, and I'll post again later (probably in a year or so) with a complete list (and further on with my other lists).

Please note that age appropriateness is extremely approximate, and furthermore is based primarily (at this age) off of read-aloud level rather than reading-to-self level.



Good Books for Kindergarteners (age 4-6)

Series
Henry & Mudge (Series)
Mr. Putter & Tabby (Series)
Clifford the Big Red Dog (Series)
Annie & Snowball (Series)
Strega Nona
Clarence and the Purple Horse
Mirette and Bellini
Curious George
Frog and Toad
Little Bear
Maple Hill Farm
Lyle Crocodile
Magic School Bus
 “I Can Read” books on the library catalogue or the internet
Babar
Madeline
Poppleton
Mrs. Toggle
Aunt Eater
Berenstain Bears
Clifford the Big Red Dog
Frances
George and Martha
Little Critter
Amelia Bedelia
Richard Scarry books
Mercy Watson


Individual books
Nine for California
Armadilly Chili
A Pipkin of Pepper (& sequels)
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
Lost and Found
Harry in Trouble
The Island of the Skog
Granddaddy’s Place
The Gingerbread Man
The Gingerbread Cowboy
The Carrot Seed
Harold and the Purple Crayon
Corduroy
A Pocket for Corduroy
Just Me and My Dad (and others)
The Ugly Duckling
Stone Soup
There’s No Such Thing as a Dragon
The Little Engine That Could
Harry the Dirty Dog
The Biggest Bear
Caps for Sale
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (and sequels)
Mice at Bat
The Case of the Cat’s Meow
Wagon Wheels  (history, B)
The Mysterious Tadpole
A House in the Woods
The Story About Ping
Ask Mr. Bear
Millions of Cats
May I Bring a Friend?
Six-Dinner Sid
The Story of Little Babaji (Pancakes for Supper is another retelling of this story)
Lentil
The Reluctant Dragon (history, B)
The Visit
The Velveteen Rabbit
When I Was Young in the Mountains
Saving Strawberry Farm (history)
The Long Way to a New Land, and sequels (history)


Authors
Cynthia Rylant
Leo Lionni
Virginia Burton
Arthur Howard, illustrator
Steven Kellog
Helen Cooper
Arnold Lobel
Inga Moore
Barbara Brenner

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!