Thursday, July 12, 2012

Facebook, New & Improved!

I am happy to report that I am back on Facebook! Hello, world!

This morning I checked back in for the first time in a week and a half, and I immediately took a (virtual) hatchet to my account and started hacking right and left. When I finished, my account was a much more pleasant place to be!

I have also made other changes to my practices that I hope will promote a better relationship with the Facebook-beast. Here are some of the things that I have done and plan to do:

Settings, Subscriptions, Etc.

I have hidden or left a bunch of groups (and plan to do more) - the ones that tend to be especially controversial or snarky. I can feel the peace already.

It's not that I wish to be unaware of the various issues in which I am interested - it's just that I don't wish to be bombarded with them every time I check Facebook. My account is now much more friend-based and encouragement-based (i.e. Christian mothering/parenthood groups, etc.) and much less issue-based (though this is not 100%, of course!).


Goodbye, Facebook Tab

I am no longer keeping Facebook up on a constantly-present tab. This really has helped me to avoid the pressure to check Facebook every time I get onto the computer. Hopefully this will also encourage me to keep the number of Facebook checks down to a reasonable level (whatever that is!).


Hello, Facebook Sabbaticals!

I mean to take regular Facebook sabbaticals for rest, prayer, refocusing, and refreshment - perhaps as often as once a month (not sure yet).

I feel so much better after my Facebook sabbatical, and I plan to continue to make changes to my account to make Facebook a place of friendship and encouragement rather than one of angst, unrest, anxiety, and depression. I'm so glad I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!