Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Tidbits and Snippets for May 12th


This Is Supposed to Be Hard Work - "You’ve seen them…the advertisements touting how this diet will make the pounds melt off of you, or this product will make your housework feel like a walk in the park, or this method will be the answer to all your problems.  The prospect of this sort of thing is exciting, tempting, and…destructive." (Raising Arrows)

How We're Setting Our Kids Up to Be Fat, Sick, and Unhealthy - Good information in this article. (Mark's Daily Apple)

Today - I love how God has worked through this blogger's life to reach out to other women who are hurting from the loss of a baby. The linked post is great as well. (Contentment Acres)

"Today is the day I can choose either to say:
 
'Two years ago today, I gave birth to and lost my son Isaac,'
 
or
 
'Two years ago today, God kept His promise about defeating death
and received my baby boy into Heaven.'"

 
Needing a Break? - Good hardcore advice for keeping sane as a homeschool mama. I need to print this one and hang it around my neck to read every few days hours minutes. (Always Learning)



 
Recipe Corner
 
Am I the only one around here who has spent a lifetime wondering what on earth Turkish Delight was? The 8yo has been into Narnia recently, and after much pestering I finally looked up a recipe for the stuff, and yesterday we made it.
  
How was it? Well, it was... sweet. Very sweet. We left out the rosewater (didn't have any), and I added some lemon flavoring to up the taste - but I don't think I added enough. It was a bit bland.
 
(I think to be authentic you have to use the rosewater, which they say you can find at Asian food markets. I'd like to try it sometime just to see what it tastes like.)

 
 
The texture is like super-stiff Jello jigglers, but a bit stickier. You roll them in powdered sugar to finish. If you use granulated sugar instead of powdered they're very similar to a favorite candy from my childhood - Sunkist Fruit Gems. (Except that Sunkist Fruit Gems are a lot better - but I think that I could equal them eventually by tweaking the flavors.)
 
Our next project is to try this recipe for Turkish Delight from Nerdy Nummies:

 

 
One thing is for sure - the unfortunate person who consumed "several pounds" of this stuff would be sicker than a dog. 

But the children love it! And the 8yo is planning to use it to take over the world.


From the Bookshelf

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Having never seen the movie or read the book, I decided it was time! And I'm so glad that I did. This book is simply darling, and it is full of delightfully dry humor that is just as funny (or funnier) to adults as to children.














A Midwife's Story

What do you get when you combine one of my favorite topics (midwifery) with my favorite people group (the Amish)?

A book about Amish midwifery, of course!

I can't believe it's taken me this long to find this book. I actually thought that I'd caught all the major midwifery memoirs out there. I was wrong! And when I saw this on a friend's bookshelf, I was immediately drooling. She had mercy on me and let me borrow it. And...

It's wonderful!

I love it. I already love anything about the Amish people, and adding in homebirth midwifery makes this book an absolute delight (as far as I can tell in the first few chapters). Definitely recommended.


Have a wonderful week, dear readers!








1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!