Friday, January 24, 2014

Awesome Books Our Family Is Reading!

While I'm in the middle of all of my fun projects, I thought I'd take a quick minute to share what our family is reading!

Books I'm Reading!



"The New Answers Book 2" - Having just finished Book 1, I'm now on to Book 2 - and like the first book, the second is awesome! I am slowly working through a large body of creation/evolution literature, and am enjoying my survey very much. (I am focusing on creationist literature at the moment, having spent the first 30 years of my life immersed in evolutionist literature. It's now time to balance out the spectrum!)


"You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap)" - Have I ever mentioned that one of my hobbies is reading books on simple living? Oddly enough, it's a habit that stresses me out - but I still do it, and enjoy it! (While I'm stressing.) Some time I'll publish a list of my favorites, and this one will be on it! This awesome book chronicles the journey of one woman who simplified her life - going, with her husband, from a two-high-income, long-commute, high-stress, lots-of-debt lifestyle to a debt-free, tiny-house, radically simplified life. While some of her suggestions have limited applications for growing families (especially growing homeschooling families), it's always wonderful to immerse myself in the simple-living atmosphere and learn as much as I can. Love it.




"The Paleo Solution" - The very-low-carb diet that I'm doing is basically a variant on the Paleo-Primal spectrum, and I have enjoyed reading all that I can on this subject (especially at my favorite health blog, Mark's Daily Apple). Though I haven't gotten into Robb Wolf's things before, I am thoroughly enjoying his book - lots of great information, and I love his approach. I'm also finally getting a handle on the sleep issue - why and how sleep (both quality and quantity) affects our health. Highly recommended (with some cautions for language).


"The Fellowship of the Ring" - Time for an old favorite! I'm not a huge LOTR fan, but I always enjoy the first selection. This book has gotten slightly shoved aside while I'm enjoying all of these other new picks, but I'm going to get back to it in a week or two.



"Large Family Logistics" - Before I left Facebook, I joined a wonderful group that was collectively reading a chapter of this book per week, and then engaging in encouraging discussions about how to implement this author's great ideas. This is a favorite of mine, and I was really enjoying re-reading it - thus, I'm sticking with the schedule, even though the Facebook group is no longer available to me.




"Laura Ingalls Wilder: Real-Life Pioneer of the Little House Books" - On a whim, I checked out a couple of biographical works on Laura Ingalls Wilder, in hopes that I could catch some details not covered in the books. While I'm only starting this one, I'm finding it very interesting! For example, did you know that Laura had a baby brother, who died at the age of nine months? Wow! I'd never heard that! Apparently there were some times that were so tough for the Ingalls family that Laura completely left them out of her book. This will be a fun read.


Books DH Is Reading!



"Faith of Our Fathers: A Commentary on the Westminster Confession of Faith" - This is his newest reading project, and he's already loving it.


"Life of John Knox" - I have to admit it; I tried to read this book and eventually gave up. But it is DH's favorite, and he's now re-reading it. And if it weren't for our last name, I know one of sons would be named "John Knox"!



"A Weed in the Church: How a Culture of Age Segregation Is Destroying the Younger Generation, Fragmenting the Family, and Harming the Church" - Having met the author last weekend, DH is now enthusiastically reading one of my all-time favorite books. If you have time to spare for a new reading project, this is the one to choose. Love this book.



"Spurgeon: A New Biography" - DH and I read through this one at the same time (I'm finished; DH is still finishing up), and it is absolutely awesome. What an amazing man! Thoroughly recommended.


Books We're Reading in Homeschool!


"Eating the Plates: A Pilgrim Book of Food and Manners" - This book is so much fun! It is a thorough elementary-appropriate discussion of all things food-related (hunting, manners, food preparation, diet, etc.) with the Pilgrim settlers. We are learning so much, and it's so much fun! We read a bit each day.



"To the Top: Climbing the World's Highest Mountain" - Our 7yo's current favorite - the tale of how Mt. Everest was first conquered in 1953. What a story!




"Barry: The Bravest Saint Bernard" - Another favorite of our 7yo - the true story of the brave St. Bernard who worked as a rescue dog at a Swiss monastery in the last century. Wonderful boy-type adventure material here.



"Sugar Creek Gang #3: The Winter Rescue" - Our "fun" reading! Our 7yo received a set of six of the Sugar Creek Gang books for Christmas, and we're now starting #3. He is greatly enjoying them, as am I. I'm definitely learning a lot as I venture into the world of books for BOYS!

And there you have it, folks! This is what our family is reading at the moment. 

How about you? Got any great titles to recommend? Let me know about them!

(Some of you may be wondering, "If you're doing a unit study on China, where are all of the books on China?" Good question. Firstly, we included books on Mt. Everest in our study on China, as it's in a neighboring country [and Nepal won't be covered independently in our country studies]. But our books on China are so numerous that I simply haven't included them here. You'll have to wait till I publish our literature list for China to see those!)


Have a great night, everyone!

(P.S. Look for my new blog name - and new look! - sometime within the next few days!)

Love to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!