Friday, November 2, 2012

I've Hit the Holy Grail!

I am still on my "no computer AT ALL before nap time" program, and it is...

WONDERFUL!!!

I have now been doing this for a full week, and it is awesome. I am less distracted with internet controversies, more focused on what I need to be doing, and I have more time for getting things done.

Here is what I have learned about homemaking and motherhood: Homemaking is a full time job. Adding mothering to that is then more than a full-time job. Adding homeschooling on top of that is more than more than a full time job (if that makes any sense). In other words, there is no way that I can get everything done. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, planning, educating, baby care, organizing, you name it - it's just not possible to do it all every day, especially to levels that reach my satisfaction. But if I waste too much time on the computer, I get even less of it done than I can when I ignore the computer and just keep working. I still won't get it all done - but I can get a lot closer.

And in this case, strict legalism is the word of the day. If I get on the computer for "just five minutes," I'm a lost cause. So staying strictly OFF the computer until after our daily quiet time is working beautifully for me, and I plan to continue it. It's not easy, but it's working. I am so thankful that the Lord has led me in this direction, and I pray for more and more of His leading in my life!

Of course, as prophesied, I am falling farther and farther and farther behind in email. But that's a small price to pay, I think!

Love to you all!! 

2 comments:

  1. Your previous post inspired me to do something similar. I can't go entirely off-computer until a certain time, because a lot of the boys' schoolwork is on there, including their Spanish computer program; some of it I could just print off the computer, and print off our "schedule" of what needs to be done, but I don't like using paper & ink if I don't have to. And that particular week, I knew had I some stuff that needed to be done online (pay bills, etc.), and I didn't want to run the risk of incurring late fees just to meet a self-imposed computer ban. :-)

    But I disciplined myself to stay off of facebook, my email, and Google Reader, and did get much more accomplished -- a lot of tasks that I'd left undone when I shouldn't, like reorganizing our closet, getting our winter clothes out (of course, it turned warm again afterward), adding newly acquired books to my Access database (yet another computer task!), etc. And I recognized in myself what you mentioned earlier, about the "need" to get a "computer fix" (or more specifically for me, a facebook fix, or "just checking to see" if any new emails or blogs came in); that dissipated in the face of my determination. Felt good.

    It's been a good thing for me, and I will continue, at least during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s., I'm glad those chocolate candy things worked out for you! And it's good to hear your variations. They're dangerous to have around. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!