Friday, June 25, 2010

Note on Residual Nausea

If you remember my original posts on residual nausea, or HG nausea (in varying levels) that continues past pregnancy - either in constant levels or in being "nausea-prone" - I concluded that it must be pretty rare, as it was only myself and one other mama who reported it. However, in the past 24 hours I have received comments form 2 more HG mamas who have also experienced post-pregnancy nausea issues. That makes 4 of us - Anna, aren't you glad we're not alone? :)

Unfortunately there is little to no literature and/or research on this one out there. The two OBs I have asked about this gave me the deer-in-the-headlights look and then quickly changed the subject. Maybe sometime I'll post on my birth lists to find out more info on the subject if any exists in the midwifery community. Definitely a rare complication of a rare disease - not something likely to be burgeoning with research and information.

Cheers, all!

4 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I found your blog by searching for HG. I am in my 3rd pregnancy and now have my HG under control. With my 1st I would throw up about 6 times a day, but never lost weight. Second was a different story and I ended up needing IV hydration. Zofran and Phenagran did little to help. It was a long hard 9 months. This time I was able to get diclectin from Canada and it's been a completly different experience. At 26 weeks I've only thrown up 27 times and am now to the point of feeling like I can enjoy the rest of the pregnancy!

    But about this post. Since having HG, I am very prone to throwing up. I can't even wipe my toddler's bottom without gaging and forget cleaning up their own vomit. thankfully my DH is wonderful and does these tasks for me. I wonder if this will ever go away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Janet! Thanks for reading! I am so glad that Diclectin worked for you. I used the copycat version plus Zofran for my last pregnancy, and that combo worked well for me.

    For myself and at least one other mama, residual post-pregnancy nausea has been something that gradually fades over time, for the most part. My residual nausea from my first pregnancy - the part that was just low-level nausea, with occasional spikes - lasted in total 1-2 years, and was mostly over by the first year. It just gradually dropped off. Being "nausea-prone" is something that is still with me, in a minor sense, 4 years later - things like getting nauseated if I don't eat, or if I'm super-tired, or having nausea that lasts extra long from 24-hour stomach flu, etc. - though even this is not as problematic as it once was. So I think that for most women who experience residual nausea, it does gradually drop off, though I don't know if it ever completely goes away. And we're talking post-pregnancy nausea here - it looks like you're still pregnant, so most likely your nausea will vanish with birth (unless your RN lasted post-pregnancy with your others?). Post-pregnancy nausea seems to be extremely rare, so hopefully you won't have to deal with it!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diana
    Yes, I was talking about being prone to nausea when NOT pregnant. Many of the things you mentioned (getting too hungry, tired, etc) make me sick as well.
    Oh the joys of motherhood, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet - Yes, exactly! Who on earth would have predicted that one pre-motherhood???

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!