Wednesday, March 18, 2009

15 weeks, 6 days: Moving Right Along

Hi, everyone!

It's been a long week! I should have checked in sooner, but it's just been super-busy. My parents left for home on Sunday morning, so we are officially on our own. I'm not completely up to it, but am a whole lot more so than a month ago! So we're doing okay.

I have cut my Zofran intake by half, meaning that I now have 4 months of medication left rather than 2 months - and if I can successfully cut it further in month or two, may be able to stretch it all the way. Cutting back on Zofran has meant that I have gone backwards a bit in NVP management - I'm back to throwing up every day (it had stretched out to every couple of days), but the good news is that I don't really feel any (or much) worse, and I think it's worth it as long as it doesn't get out of control. I'm going to keep an eye on it for a while and see if I can hold the line here.

I still haven't made up my mind completely on whether or not to get an ultrasound.... I've got two weeks left to vacillate, and I'll probably do so till the last second. We see our midwife again next week (hurray!!!!!), and I'm going to give her a good grilling on the subject to see what insights I can imbibe.

In more personal news, our toddler has weaned.... sort of. This wasn't voluntary on either of our parts, but the simple consequence of the fact that my supply has inexplicably vanished! I hadn't thought it would do so so early, but there you have it. He's still nursing occasionally (once a day, sometimes less), but it hurts like heck! (That's how I found out about everything... I went on the internet and discovered that nursing sans milk supply is supposed to be quite painful - which it is!). So, although we've nursed longer than 99.99% of Americans, I'm sorry it's (mostly) over so soon - I hadn't intended to wean for quite a while.

We were able to participate this past weekend in the Infant Memorial Service put on by my friend J., and it was a lovely experience which I hope will be repeated. I think that we Christians have a lot of hypocrisy within our numbers to expose in that while we espouse the personhood of human beings from conception, we don't tend to give funerals for infants lost before birth until they are recognizably "babylike" - say around 24 weeks or so. That is a serious issue that needs to be addressed by the church. Thoughts, anyone?

Well, I have the feeling that I had more to say, but I have no idea what it was! So I'll check back in later. I hope that you all are having a wonderful week!!

Love,
Diana

1 comment:

  1. My older son weaned when my I was about 14-15 weeks pregnant with my younger son. But he weaned in a day -- one day he was nursing normally, and then the next he completely and utterly refused to nurse at all. I kept trying for nearly a week, and as soon as I got him into the nursing position, he would begin to scream, and do the "full body rigor" protest. So, I stopped.

    I agree with you when you say that Christians do not tend to have funeral services or anything of the sort for babies who died in a miscarriage -- my sister had 3 miscarriages, and didn't do anything (although most if not all were so early that she couldn't see anything recognizable). But my SIL as well as a family in our church both had little funerals for their miscarried babies.

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!