Friday, November 12, 2010

Doctor #Whichever - Physical Therapy

Yesterday we had baby's first physical therapy session (all the other sessions lately have been evaluations of one type or another).

It went pretty well. I have a horrible time trying to pay attention during these sessions. For one thing, I was obsessing over the fact that I had somehow brought baby to his session with grungy socks and a onesie that had a mysterious stain on it. And he had a really bad haircut (which I've tried to since rectify... only somewhat successfully). The internal agonizing of a mother sure the therapist has written her off as a bad mother. But I digress.

The other thing that I find horribly hard about therapy sessions is that we have our eldest with us as well. And as he is emphatically not the "sit in a corner and read a book" type (like I was), I have to keep an eye on him, make sure he's okay and occupied, and occasionally discipline. So trying to do that while have a conversation with the therapist and participate in the therapy is next to impossible. Or rather, I do it, but I'm distracted and a total stress case.

Moving on.

The therapy went well, nothing much new there.

However, here's something interesting. The therapist mentioned something new to us - torticollis, or persistent head turning in one direction (i.e. right or left). Baby definitely has this - he likes to turn his head to his right, and he has the tell-tale positional plagiocephaly (flat head on one side) as a result. When I searched torticollis to see if it could have anything to do with his back-arching, I came up with something called Sandifer's Syndrome. While we're only guessing at this point, baby does match up with a lot of the symptom picture. With that in mind, we're definitely going to mention it to the GI doctor when we see her this coming week (as Sandifer's Syndrome is a complication of GERD, which will be her specialty).

Interesting stuff! I would really like some answers on this thing. I can't believe how much time and money and effort we've put into a search for a diagnosis which has only resulted in head-scratching and a collective "hmm." It would be nice to be able to have a diagnosis and move on into treatment instead of staying in limbo forever.

And now, on to a very busy weekend! Tomorrow is "Batterday Saturday," the day when we make our cookie dough for next week's annual "Lepkuchen Day" - a holiday invented by our friends, which we adopted into our own holiday traditions. Yum! I can't wait.

Love to all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!