Saturday, November 23, 2013

Cooking Through ENGLAND - Hot Cross Buns!

For Reformation Day, we made Hot Cross Buns - and they were terrific!

You can read about our adventures here - though unfortunately, we have no pictures of the actual buns themselves. Blogging FAIL!

And also, alas, I have no recipe link to share - because the recipe I used is apparently no longer in existence, and I'm too tired to type it out from my original print-out. HOWEVER, recipes for this delightful recipe are a dime a dozen, so do a quick Google search and go for it!

(Additionally, I felt that my recipe was a bit heavy on the yeast, so I'd like to find a new recipe myself. Let me know if you find a good one!)

Hot Cross Buns are traditionally served during Holy Week (the week preceding Easter). I always mean to do this but am usually too busy during Holy Week - so Reformation Day will have to do.

This song is on our Mother Goose CD and is well-known even in America:

“Hot Cross Buns!
Hot Cross Buns!
One ha’ penny, two ha’ penny,
Hot Cross Buns!

“If you have no daughters,
If you have no daughters,
If you have no daughters,
Give them to your sons!

“But if you have
None of these little elves
Then you must eat them all yourselves!”

This poem isn't as well-known, but looks like it's related to the first:

“Good Friday come this month, the old woman runs
With one or two a penny hot cross buns.”

Enjoy, friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!