Saturday, March 8, 2008

Research - Herbs I

Wow, it's been over a week! I don't seem to be too good at this blogging thing! Toddlers are not good for the upkeep of blogs. :)

Anyhow, I am titling this "Herbs I" because there'll probably be more than one entry on herbs. Herbal remedies just keep showing up - tons of them!!

I'm not sure how good any of them will be for HG. Frankly, a "light and stimulating tea" isn't going to be worth a hill of beans when you're vomitting so badly that you can't even see or think straight! I really don't know. By the time I tried my only herbal remedy during HG (dried ginger pills and ginger tea), I was too sick to keep the pills down and the tea was so revolting (and I hate tea of all kinds anyway) that it made things worse. My own opinion would be that if one knows that one is likely to get HG, it would be a good idea to hit the herbal remedies full bore from pre-conception onwards (my plan); if one already has it, good luck, but go for Zofran!! LOL

I am just going to list the herbs and the quotations to back them up. Let me know if anything I list works or has worked for anyone out there!!

GINGER

This is the main herbal remedy for morning sickness, so I'm going to devote an entire blog entry to it later.

RED RASPBERRY LEAF

Found a lot of references to this one. It's also a known uterine tonic, known to prepare the uterus for labor and make for easier labor (just for that, I'm planning on downing it by the gallon next time!!).

"Red Raspberry leaf is a classic uterine toner and pregnancy tonic. It prepares the uterus to function at its best. The leaf can ease morning sickness and gently aid digestion."

- "Heart and Hands" by Elizabeth Davis (p. 47)


"Herb teas to try: peppermint, chamomile, and red raspberry."

- Shonda Parker, "The Naturally Healthy Pregnancy, p. 170


PERILLA

Don't even know what this is - have only seen one reference.

"In Chinese medicine the herb perilla, taken as a tea, is used for morning sickness."

- Christopher Hobbs, L.Ac., "Herbal Remedies for Dummies," p. 240


YELLOW DOCK

"Yellow Dock: 25-50 mg per day. This is one midwife's first remedy to try."

- "Relief for Morning Sickness" (website unknown - forgot to record it)


MILK THISTLE

Have seen several references for this - it seems to be mainly preventative. I've been taking it for several months as a preventative.

"I have found milk thistle (standardized to contain at least 70 - 80% silymarin) to be invaluable in preventing morning sickness. I began taking 2 tablets each day two months prior to this pregnancy and increased to 3 tablets daily when our pregnancy was confirmed. Milk thistle is liver supportive and protective. I feel this is why it worked so well to prevent the nausea and vomiting I have had with every other pregnancy. This would be especially helpful for those moms who vomit bile during pregnancy."

- Shonda Parker, "The Naturally Healthy Pregnancy," p. 171


ANISE

"Anise infusion makes a great morning tea that also curtails morning sickness."

- Jaqulene Harper-Roth, "The Pregnancy Herbal," p. 58


PEPPERMINT & SPEARMINT

".... a peppermint or spearmint infusion first thing in the morning lifts the spirit and acts as an effective antinausea remedy. Spearment infusion also soothes evening sickness due to hormonal imbalances. Drink 2 cups every 3 hours."

- Jaqulene Harper-Roth, "The Pregnancy Herbal," p. 58


"Several years ago, when I was at a concert, the promoter sought me out and asked if I had anything for nausea - quick. The band was ready to go onstage, but the lead singer was doubled over behind the curtain, vomiting. Fortunately for her and the anxious crowd, I had a vial of peppermint waters with me. This wasn't anything fancy - it was similar to the peppermint flavoring you can buy at grocery stores. The singer took this remedy and in ten minutes, she appeared onstage, all smiles, and went into her first song."

- Kathi Keville, "Herbs for Health and Healing," p. 94

"Herb teas to try: peppermint, chamomile, and red raspberry."


- Shonda Parker, "The Naturally Healthy Pregnancy, p. 170"


PEACH LEAF

"Dried peach-leaf tea relieves nausea and morning sickness as well...."

- Jaqulene Harper-Roth, "The Pregnancy Herbal," p. 58


WILD YAM ROOT

"Wild-yam-root infusion or decoction is slower acting, but far safer, than any over-the-counter medications for severe or persistent morning sickness."

- Jaqulene Harper-Roth, "The Pregnancy Herbal," p. 58


LEMON JUICE

"Drinking water with a wedge of lemon squeezed in it is refreshing and liver cleansing."

- Shonda Parker, "The Naturally Healthy Pregnancy," p. 171


ALFALFA

I don't have any research to back this up - this was just testimonial evidence from a woman on the Arizona Birth Network who said that she used it to tame severe morning sickness. Alfalfa is very high in vitamin K, so that might perhaps have something to do with it. Whatever works!!

BASIL

"After trying every antinausea drug she could find, she tried a tea of basil leaves - and her vomiting ended. Since I wrote that article, I have heard of numerous doctors who recommend basil to stop vomiting."

- Kathi Kevill, "Herbs for Health and Healing," p. 94


CHAMOMILE

"Herb teas to try: peppermint, chamomile, and red raspberry."

- Shonda Parker, "The Naturally Healthy Pregnancy, p. 170


LAVENDER FLOWERS

"Prepare nausea-preventing tea infusions like ginger rhyzome, lavender flowers, peppermint leaf, peach leaf and/or wild yam root."

- Christopher Hobbs, L.Ac., "Herbal Remedies for Dummies," p. 240

RECIPE FOR ANTI-NAUSEA HERBAL TEA

Mix 1 teaspoon each
Fresh ginger
wild yam root
orange peel
lavender flowers

in 4 cups water. Simmer the herbs for a few minutes, then steep the mixture for 20 minutes. Drink 1 cup of the tea 2 or 3 times daily, before meals. If you prefer, mix 2 teaspoon each of the individual tinctures in 1 cup of water and drink 1/2 cup, 2 times daily.

Taken from "Herbal Remedies for Dummies" by Christopher Hobbs, L.Ac.

Well, that's all for now!! I'm sure there'll be more later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!