Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Rabbit Trail Leading to.... Magnesium?

Yesterday I was reading one of my favorite blogs, and I found her posting on the severe morning sickness she is currently experiencing with her newest babe.

Then, because I always do, I spent some time reading the comments and gleaning information from those. There's always so much in the comments! I was fascinated by this comment conversation:

Commenter: "Sorry you are so sick! Have you read this blog post about magnesium? It worked for me! http://www.mommypotamus.com/the-real-cause-of-morning-sickness/"  
Amy (blog author): "I did, but I’ve had a blood workup and don’t have a magnesium deficiency." 
Commenter: "Its funny mine actually appeared fine too, but then I read something about magnesium being stored mostly in the cells and not the blood so the test is not that accurate unless you have deathly low levels. I don’t know that much about it, just that taking magnesium oil was a huge help to me! Hope you get to feeling better soon! 
" ... This may be helpful … From the Magnesium Miracle by Dr. Carolyn Dean:
"'Another reason that Dr. Altura felt magnesium was not given its due is because there has been no lab test that will give an accurate reading of the magnesium status in the tissues. Only one percent of magnesium of the body is distributed in the blood, making a simple sample of magnesium in the blood highly inaccurate. That’s why most doctors who rely on blood tests for magnesium and not magnesium deficiency signs and symptoms and realization that up to 80 percent of the population is deficient, will miss an important diagnosis.'"
So, of course, I headed right over to read said article, and found it fascinating:

The REAL Cause of Morning Sickness

She writes:

"You’ve Probably Heard By Now . . .
 "That cortisol (the stress hormone) can cause weight gain, but did you know that’s because one of it’s main functions is to increase blood sugar? Yep, excess cortisol in your system takes your blood sugar through huge spikes and crashes, resulting in fatigue and nausea (aka morning sickness). Normally, magnesium balances cortisol levels by cleaning the excess from our blood.

 "BUT -

 "Pregnancy hormones inhibit our ability to absorb magnesium! This can lead to a vicious cycle in which excess stress hormones cause nausea, which causes stress, which we can’t fully remedy because the very thing we need we can’t fully absorb... 
 "That’s Why The Secret To Morning Sickness . . . Is to build up your magnesium stores before getting pregnant!"
Head on over to read the whole article, as well as the comments, and then check out her other article, "7 Real Food Remedies for Morning Sickness That Actually Work."

Great stuff all around! What do you guys think?

As for me.... I went to Sprouts and bought some mineral drops and Magnesium Oil. It can't hurt!

And really, let's face it - pregnancy is hard on a woman's body. And a severe-NVP pregnancy is super-hard on the body. It only makes sense to spend time and energy in between pregnancies building up our bodies in every way that we possibly can so that our bodies are as strong and whole as possible when they are challenged once again.

Also, I recall that magnesium was a vital part in the HG-treatment written about in this article.

Can you guys tell I'm on a blogging spree? A blogger can go only so long without blogging before she throws up her hands and says, "That's it! Everybody hold everything, I've got to blog!"

I think I need to blog more regularly so I can avoid the blogging frenzy.

Anyhow, thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!