Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Which Are the BEST Agatha Christie Novels?


For my tenth birthday, my mom bought me my first two Agatha Christie novels. While the rest of my classmates celebrated the end of school for the year (I have a June birthday), I sat at my desk devouring "Death Among the Pigeons," and then, after school let out, "Murder is Easy."

I've been a voracious Christie fan ever since. 

I have an almost-complete collection of Christie's works, and I read through it at least once or twice a year. I have read nearly every book of hers at least twenty times, and most, I would say, a minimum of fifty times. Some probably approach one to two hundred times. I also list Christie's autobiography, "An Autobiography" as one of the most influential books of my life. 

I recently decided to list out my favorite Christie novels, and I wanted to share this list with you all! With the help of this website, I have listed them out by main sleuth. (Please remember that most Christie novels have two titles - one title in the UK and one in the U.S. I have listed only one title per book in the list below.) Here goes:

Hercule Poirot:
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Murder on the Orient Express
Three Act Tragedy
Dumb Witness
Death on the Nile
Sad Cypress
Evil Under the Sun
Five Little Pigs
After the Funeral
Cat Among the Pigeons

Miss Marple:
Sleeping Murder 
A Murder Is Announced
4.50 from Paddington aka What Mrs McGillicuddy Saw.
The Mirror Crack’d from Side to Side

Tommy & Tuppence:
N or M?

Superintendent Battle:
The Secret of Chimneys
The Seven Dials Mystery 
Murder Is Easy
Towards Zero

Colonel Race:
Sparkling Cyanide

Mystery Novels:
And Then There Were None
Why Didn’t They Ask Evans?
Crooked House
Destination Unknown

Non-Fiction:
Come, Tell Me How You Live
An Autobiography


Any Christie fans out there, I would love to compare notes. Which are your favorites? Which would you include (or not include) in your personal list of favorites, and why?

Let me know!


4 comments:

  1. Well, Diana, that sure is impressive! You're such a reader! I tend to not re-read books again too soon, since I have so many others I want to read, and I guess I have a thing with worrying that I'll get too bored, ha, ha! I've never read any Agatha Christy novels, but now you've got me wondering what I'm missing. If I read any, I'll try and let you know what I think!
    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do let me know if you every try them! I have recently introduced C. to some on my "best of" list, and he has been a big fan so far. :)
      Diana

      Delete
  2. Thanks Diana for this list. As a teenager I took great interest her novels...but mainly for the plot.Was too young to appreciate the research,the detailed descriptions, the french, her language. My interest is renewed now that I am learning french and watching the many adaptive series of "Les petites meurtes de AC" on youtube. Your list is useful since the french have changed some titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment! Yes, I was too young to fully appreciate her works when I first started reading them, but I've grown in appreciation with time. Such a great body of literature! :)

      Delete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!