Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Remembering Kay Williams

You wouldn't know it to read this blog lately, but I actually don't cry very often. It's actually really rare - I have to be super-joyful, super-angry, or super-grieving.

So with that in mind, I didn't expect - for the second time in two weeks - to be sitting in front of my computer with tears streaming down my face as I opened Facebook and learned of the death of a near and beloved friend, Kay Williams, this time from fast-acting cancer.

Kay Williams was a sweet, godly woman who has blessed our lives for the past six years. She was, to my best memory, the first person we met when we came to our church. I remember her standing in the foyer, holding a basket of visitor bread, smiling her sweet and welcoming smile while we bombarded her with questions. And that is how I always see her - with a gentle and serene smile, a calm in the storm, an ever-constant loving presence.

With Husband Chris

Kay was one of those who was truly a backbone to the church - providing help, supporting younger women, providing help to hurting families. I have heard it said that the modern church is suffering from a lack of godly older women to mentor younger women in the ways of home and family.... however true in general, this was not true of my former church (it was oozing with godly older women), and Kay was one of those wonderful godly women who mentored all of us younger women. She was an example, and her life was a goal to reach for. She inspired all of us to live the Proverbs 31 life.

Dearest Kay, we will miss you so much. But I am so glad that you are now free from the cancer which has plagued you off and on for years upon years, and that you can now rest in the presence of your Savior.

I have never thought of Facebook as a source of literature, but when I saw the post-after-post list of tributes rolling in from church family, I couldn't think of a fitter tribute, which I'd like to share:

Grieving the loss of a sister in the Lord that battled cancer, but inspired by her life and example. I will see you again Kay. (Karen)

Miss you Kay. You were always such an inspiration to me. You had such a servant heart. (Barb)

God asked one of the best and sweetest women to come home today. It is truly our loss and my heart is very heavy tonight. Bless you dear Kay, I am glad you are now Home. You will be missed, dearly missed, you wonderful woman. Thank you for being a light unto me and my son. (Angela)

We'll miss you, Kay. Thanks for being such a good example to all of the rest of us. (Jennifer)

(S)addened by the loss of a dear friend this afternoon. The timing of my trip to Arizona last month was no coincidence. Kay, I am so thankful for the few minutes we got to spend together. You will forever be missed. God took an amazing, beautiful woman but we are all comforted in knowing that you are now pain-free and we will one day see you again. (Miranda)

I know that Jesus wanted you home with Him, but you will be missed, Kay. (Kim)

The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God. ~Quoted in The Angels' Little Instruction Book by Eileen Elias Freeman, 1994 - Goodbye dear Kay, we will miss you! The world needs more Godly women like you! You were very LOVED by all who knew you! (Aurielle)

So, if you were with me tonight, I'd sing to you just one more time. A song for a heart so big, God wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in, Mrs. Williams. (Amber)

One of God's sweetest women is now at peace and cancer-free, but I am going to miss her terribly. (Diana - me)

I am at a loss right now. I just found out via Facebook that the woman that was the closest thing I've ever had to a mentor has gone to be with Jesus. I have so many mixed feelings right now. I will miss you, Kay, and look forward to the day that I will see you whole and healed, standing in the presence of Jesus. (Kelly)

(G)rieving the loss of an incredible woman of God today - she was such a blessing in my life and to so many others, as well. 1 Corinthians 15:50-57 (Rebecca)

Last month with Arizona's Newest Snowflake Baby

***


And to close, I wanted to share some of Kay's recipes which have blessed our families for years:


Cheese Puffs
Kay Williams, December 2010

One large loaf Wonder Bread or store brand white sandwich bread
3/4 c. mayonnaise
1/2 container (5 oz.) of fresh grated parmesan cheese
1/2 small brown onion, minced
3 dashes of white pepper

Cut Wonder bread into circles with 1-1 1/2" circles. Place on cookie sheet. Mix remaining ingredients in bowl. Spread lightly on top of bread circles. Bake at 400 degrees approximately 10 minutes. Tops should be golden brown.


Coffee Cake
Kay Williams, January 2007

2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. buttermilk
2/3 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten


Topping

1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Mix all coffee cake ingredients together. Sprinkle with topping and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. After baking, drizzle a mixture of powdered sugar, milk, butter and vanilla for frosting.


Rum Cake
Kay Williams, January 2007

1 box yellow cake mix
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. rum

Mix together & pour into greased, floured bundt pan which has 1 c.
chopped pecans sprinkled in bottom. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.


Topping

1/4 pound butter
1/4 c. water
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. rum

Boil for three minutes & spoon over cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Cool for about 20 minutes, loosen with a knife and turn onto a serving plate.


Kay Williams' Broccoli Salad
All amounts are approximate

2 bunches broccoli
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup raisins or craisins
1/4 cup minced onion

Sauce:
1/2-1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar

Mix salad; mix dressing and add. The recipe says to add the nuts just before serving, but I just add them with everything. Good if it sits a bit before serving.

***

We are so grateful for Kay's presence in our lives and the blessing she has been to our family and to our church. Go with God, dear friend. We will see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!