Thursday, January 14, 2010

Having Nothing to do With Anything

Having been inspired by my good friend J., who is making her own (super-easy-to-make) homemade powdered laundry detergent (which I am planning to try next week), I offer the following two recipes which I have tried this week. Voila!

Homemade Windex

2 cups rubbing alcohol
1/2 cup ammonia
1 teaspoon Joy dishwashing soap
Blue food coloring, optional

Put above in gallon container and add water to make one gallon. I just made this ten minutes ago and haven't had time to try it yet, but the reviewers on the original recipe all rave about it.

***

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

Into a 32-ounce container place:

1/2 cup borax (laundry aisle)
1/2 cup washing soda (laundry aisle)
1/4 cup kosher salt (with the salt!)
1/4 cup citric acid (buy from brewery, herb shop, or health food store - I get mine in the bulk herbs at Sprouts)

Shake well. Ignore any clumps. Use 1 Tbsp. per load. Works beautifully!

Can also fill rinse compartment with white vinegar. I haven't figured out how this works yet, so I haven't tried this.

***

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I make my own liquid laundry soap (using a bar of soap, washing soda, and borax, mixed with water), and I like it. No more running to the store and spending money on expensive detergent (we have a H-E washing machine, so it needs low-suds stuff). We don't have a dishwasher, but I'd like to try the glass cleaner recipe.

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!