Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Research: Chiropractic Care

Now this is truly an interesting one, just because it's so unexpected. If you asked a bunch of people what their ideas for alleviating morning sickness would be, I would bet that almost none of them would say, "Go see a chiropractor!" Neither would I!

Here's the first mention I found of this one:

"A chiropractor will manipulate your spine and joints in order to realign your body and improve digestive function. Sutdies have shown that this treatment can ease nausea."

- "Pregnancy the Natural Way" by Zita West, under "Hyperemesis: Complementary Treatments"

So I did some more research, and found numerous references. Here's a more extensive one:

"Morning Sickness: Many times, it is a reaction to all of the physical, chemical, and mental changes taking place in the mother-to-be. Sometimes the subluxation process may be altering the body's natural function and ability to adapt to the changes taking place which may cause the nausea. Also, abnormal tension may exist in the supporting fascial planes which may contribute to this feeling. If either of these two things are present, you will benefit from chiropractic care. You will experience relief from morning sickness and your body will function at your optimal level allowing you a greater chance for an easier pregnancy. Plus, as you body works better, your developing baby will grow and develop to be a healthier baby.

This is what one my of patients experienced through chiropractic care:

'I had morning sickness 24/7 for months and months. I was losing weight and barely functioning. My OB/GYN had me coming into the office for vitamin B shots which didn't help. I started getting chiropractic care and after the first visit, my morning sickness subsided for a few days. As I continued care, it subsided all together. I can't imagine how hard it was on my baby if it was that hard on me. Chiropractic care is a vital part of my life and I've since had one more pregnancy without morning sickness at all!'"

- From: http://www.telicfamilychiropractic.com/pregnancy.htm

Wow! Pretty impressive!

Here's another, more technical quote:

"The treatment is adjusting the entire spine, especially T8, T6, T5, and T4, as well as the upper cervicals, and placing the patient on a liver sparing diet such as carbohydrates, no fat, fresh steamed vegetables, no sugar, no dairy products, and very small meals, eaten often. If severe, allow only juices, soups, and broths with no fat. And by no means avoid protein at this time. Digestive enzymes which contain the pancreatic enzymes and HCL must be taken right before or in the middle of a meal. Half a lemon in hot water first upon rising and last thing at bedtime will help to clear the liver and take the strain off this overworked organ.

Those practicing Sacro-occipital Technic (SOT) will see relief with Chiropractic Manipulative Reflex Technic (CMRT) liver pump technic; Applied Kinesiology (AP) practitioners will see results stimulating liver, stomach, and pancreas neurolymphaties.

The expectant mother suffering from morning sickness should be seen about twice weekly (until about 16 weeks gestation) to reduce the nausea."

- Victoria C. Arcadi, D.C.Sherman Oaks, California Dynamic Chiropractic - March 29, 1991, Volume 09, Issue 07 Page printed from: http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/09/07/33.html

Interesting how a liver-cleansing diet is also mentioned.... *sigh*. Why must they always remove all the fun from what one eats? But I digress.

So yesterday I went to see a chiropractor for the first time in my life. Reason #1 - tired of back pain. Reason #2 - See above. It was a blast! I've really been getting into alternative healthcare professionals. They actually take TIME to get to know you rather than the rushed, impersonal, grudging 10 minutes one generally gets with an allopathic doctor nowadays. The more I get into alternative medicine, the better I like it! There's no going back. But anyhow, this chiropractor did say that she had one client whose morning sickness cleared up entirely after an adjustment - and the client didn't even come in because of the morning sickness! It was just for her periodic appointment. That's pretty convincing evidence for me. I'll have to post later if I get the same effect!

Well, housework calls! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you have one already but if you ever need a recommendation, we have an AMAZING chiropractor. He "cured" my migraines! So glad your first experience was positive!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!