Thursday, September 9, 2021

How I Prepare for Labor and Birth

 

Right around week 20 of pregnancy, the realization hits:

Oh, no. It's coming.

That something, of course, is childbirth. The thought of labor scares me, every time, and it's something that I have to deal with, every time.

Thus, over the years I've compiled many techniques of childbirth preparation - and I wanted to share them with you! 

Let's get started.


I. Preparation Itself

I have found it interesting that for me, preparation is helpful in and of itself, regardless of whether it works. It helps me to feel prepared, and to feel more confident and less fearful - and that is a better way to go into labor. 



II. Childbirth Classes

I'm hugely in favor of childbirth classes, especially for first-time mamas. When I was pregnant for the first time, we made an unwise choice regarding childbirth education, and I paid for that mistake. If I were to make that choice again, I would choose a class that was...

(a) As long as possible: More classes mean more information and a better chance of retaining that information. Additionally, a longer-running class also helps in the formation of lasting friendships with classmates, which is a precious treasure when it happens.

(b) Balanced: Neither on the "here are the drugs we will give you" side nor on the "childbirth is like a dance with the rainbow unicorns" side.

(c) Information-heavy: Some classes tend to take an "ignorance is bliss" approach, but I prefer to have as much knowledge as possible. Personal preference. 


III. Birth Doulas

We have had a doula at four of our births, and they are a wonderful blessing. They fetch supplies, calm anxious papas (and mamas!), make helpful suggestions, and make the birth process much more pleasant. 

I am now at a place where I no longer desire a doula for my births, but for our first four births, a doula's help was essential. At one birth I even had two doulas! They are a wonderful asset for birthing families. 


IV. Supplements & Super-foods

I have found that nutrition is incredibly important for me - both in real foods and in supplements. I do my best to avoid sugar and processed foods, and we eat as organically as we can afford. 

I am listing below the supplements I take, along with links to the brands I use - but please know that there are many, many excellent brands out there. I provide mine only for the purpose of illustration. Ditto with the dosages, where mentioned - these are my best guesses, but goodness only knows what the ideal dosages are. Check with your midwife to find out! 

Multivitamin 

Magnesium (800 mg/day) - If attempting this dosage, build up to it gradually or you may experience stomach upset! A lower dosage of 400 mg is also workable. 

Vitamin B complex - Only if my multivitamin doesn't have enough. Mine does, so I've skipped this one this time. 

Vitamin D (10,000 IU/day)

Vitamin C - This vitamin is so incredibly important that it's going to get its own section! See below! 

DHA (fish oil)

Coconut Oil - used in the diet, rather than taken as a supplement. I also eliminate all bad oils (soy, corn, canola, etc.) and use other healthy fats such as butter, olive oil, and avocado oil. 

Desiccated Liver Pills - This is normally part of my protocol, but the site from which I buy this was out of stock for the whole last half of my pregnancy (and still is, I see). There are other sources out there, however, and another option is just to eat grass-fed liver, cooked or raw. 

Alfalfa Pills - These are to assist with raising vitamin K levels, which help with blood clotting and the prevention of postpartum bleeding - especially important since we do not use the infant vitamin K shot. Additionally, I eat a huge salad of dark leafy greens every day to ensure that my levels are as high as they can be (that is, as soon as pregnancy nausea lets up enough to let me!).

Dates (6 per day) - Dates have been shown to have incredible benefits for laboring mamas. I start the six-per-day protocol as soon as the third trimester rolls around. 

Liquid Calcium-Magnesium – I use this for the third trimester and the postpartum. Because these products are so pleasant to take, I use it as my "reward" for getting through the fish oil dosage! 

Red Raspberry Leaf - This one is also going to get its own section too - see below!


V. Vitamin C

In June, my mom gave me a fascinating article from the June edition of the Townsend Letter (a naturopathic medical journal) titled "Vitamin C Pioneer Frederick R. Keller, MD, An Historic Interview." Unfortunately I cannot link to the article or quote from it, as it is subscription-based and copyrighted, but you can buy the whole issue here.

To summarize, however, the article discuses one doctor's use of vitamin C mega-dosing in his pregnant mama clients, and how so doing resulted in astronomically improved levels of infant health, maternal health, and ease, health, and speed of labor. (The benefits the doctor mentions include reduced labor pain, reduced labor time and easier births, reduced stretch marks, less hemorrhaging, fewer miscarriages, and stronger and healthier babies.)The specific dosage mentioned is 4g per day in the first trimester, 6g per day in the second trimester, and 10g per day in the third trimester. 

I wanted very much to try this, and started immediately. Unfortunately, I read the article only 36 hours before we went into labor, so I don't think it did much, if any, good. (Though I was already taking 4g per day.) Should we be blessed with another baby, I will be using this protocol without fail. 

Here is another mama using high vitamin C dosing for pregnancy and birth health:





VI. Red Raspberry Leaf

Red raspberry leaf is an herb used universally in pregnancy for a variety of uses - everything from morning sickness relief to promoting easy labor. (Read all about it here.) I can't use it for morning sickness because I can't get near the stuff while pregnancy sickness rages, but I do drink it liberally during the third trimester (about a quart per day) and I use the "labor day" strength recipe when I can. (I didn't manage it this time, but I did last time). Here are directions!

How to make a gallon of raspberry leaf (regular strength):

Use 3/4 – 1 cup of RL herb per gallon of boiling water.

       Add 1 rounded tsp. of dried stevia leaves  for sweetener (optional).

       Pour it all into a gallon glass jar, cover it, and leave it overnight.

        Strain it in the morning and drink it over several days.

Labor Day Tea Recipe

         1 1/2 cups of loose red raspberry leaf tea (or 24 tea bags! Yes, it’s a strong brew)

         4 cups of filtered water

         Put 1 1/2 cups of loose RRL tea in a pot on the stove.

         Add 4 cups of filtered water.

         Let the tea come to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer 20-30 minutes.

         Add natural sweetener if so desired. Strain and sip throughout day.


VII. Exercises

Months of being bed-ridden with pregnancy nausea usually leave me a weak, shaky mess. I do both childbirth-prep exercises, and get-back-to-functionality exercises. 

Get-back-to-functionality Exercises:

(a) Plies (squats)

(b) Relevee (rises)

(c) Other ballet exercises (whatever comes to mind)

(d) Front and back push-ups, done against a countertop to make them easier (rather than the real type against the ground!)

(d) Stretching (but not too much, because relaxin hormone makes it easy to self-injure during stretching)


Childbirth-Prep Exercises

(a) Cat-backs (40 each) - Arching and then lowering the back while on hands and knees.

(b) Butterflies (16 each) - Sitting with heels pulled in, alternately lifting and lowering the knees while providing resistance with the hands.

(c) Squatting - That is, just sitting in a squat for as long as possible (at least a couple of minutes). This is hard (for Westerners like me!) but gets easier with time. 

(d) Kegels (40 each) - These are supposed to be done by the hundreds every day, but as I loathe this exercise, I do 40 and call it a day. 

(e) Walking - every evening that I can manage it. 

(f) Sitting up straight or forward-leaning (rather than reclining or slouching) as often as possible. This is incredibly important in encouraging baby to stay in an anterior position rather than swinging back to posterior!

(g) The forward leaning inversion, seen at 5:00 in this video:



(This is a great channel - I recommend it!)


VIII. Mental Preparation

When I spoke with our midwife about my recurring fear of birth, she advised me to work on mental preparation as well as physical preparation. This was extremely good advice. 

(a) Affirmations - I usually steer clear of affirmations, because they simply are not my style. When I hear "I am visualizing how this birth is going to go" affirmations, the logical side of my brain immediately rebels. I instead like affirmations that direct my attitude, which I can control. Examples:

  • I cannot wait to go into labor.
  • I will welcome labor with joy and ecstasy.
These didn't eliminate fear, but they did help.

(b) Bible Verse Memorization - I meditated on and memorized Bible verses that pertained to trusting the Lord, and also to having courage in adversity. There are hundreds of verses that you can use - here are mine:

Joshua 1:9 “Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.” 

Psalm 46:1-3 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea.”

Psalm 121 

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.

My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.

Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.

The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.

The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.

The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

 

Isaiah 26:3-4: Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength"

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.”


Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.


IX. Breathing

For my first four births, I did not have any prescribed method of breathing during contractions. This was not a good thing. Having a definitely breathing method during our last two births has been an incredible blessing, one of the most important coping mechanisms that I have found. 

The method that I used can be summarized as follows:

(a) For early labor: In through the nose for a slow (silent) count of four, then out through the mouth for a slow (silent) count of six.

(b) When this stops being effective, move to the next level: Two quick breaths in through the mouth (using an "ee ee" sound) and two longer breaths out through the mouth (using an "hoo hoo" sound).

(c) For pushing: Either the "J breath" (see first video below) or the "balloon breath" (see second video below). I must be honest - though I practiced both of these pushing breaths, when it came to actual pushing, I didn't manage to use either. But I did remember one rule that I learned - that any type of breathing can be useful as long as the exhale is longer than the inhale. So even though I was using more of an "in-out-in-out" breath, it still did the job. 

Check out these videos, both of which are very helpful!




X. Preparing the Labor Space

(a) Preparing my labor room(s): I know where I will want to labor (my bedroom and/or bathroom), so I do my best to prepare my space to be as comfortable as possible. For me, this means keeping my labor space clean and decluttered, and keeping my bags of labor supplies at the ready. Other mamas want to stock up on things like candles and essential oils.

(b) Choose the lighting level: I, like many mums, prefer low light or actual darkness for laboring. 

(c) Posting verses and affirmations: I posted my Bible verses on the side of the tub, and then completely forgot to look at them - however, it helped me to feel prepared in the days that led up to our birth! Again, anything that helps me to feel prepared is inherently empowering, even if I don't use it in the moment. And speaking of other things I forgot to use...

(c) Playlists: Many mums love to have a playlist of their favorite songs to listen to during labor. This time around, I put a vast amount of time into preparing a labor playlist. I found that, personally, I wanted songs that were slower-than-slow, which made things interesting (a lot of the slower-than-slow songs I picked were still too fast for my preference). And when I went into labor, I didn't want the songs at all - I just wanted silence. But again, many moms really love their playlists. Another option is purchasing Hypnobabies sound tracks, which I used in one labor and loved.

Here is my labor playlist! You will see that my spiritual home is with sacred Renaissance polyphony. This list also includes my favorite song of all time. See my labor playlist here!


XI. Remembering the Postpartum

(a) Afterpains prevention

I had insane afterpains with my first baby. After that, I wised up and got serious about afterpain prevention. The end result has been that my afterpains have gotten better with each birth, rather than worse (as is usually expected with repeat mamas). 

Before pregnancy: I focus on micronutrient-dense foods, and good supplements (especially magnesium).

During pregnancy: I focus on micronutrient-dense foods (including dates!), and good supplements (including magnesium and a Calcium-Magnesium liquid supplement).

Immediately after birth: Ibuprofen (800 mg, repeated at six-hour intervals while needed), afterpains tincture (ask your midwife! - repeated as often as needed), a placenta smoothie (placenta, yogurt, orange juice, frozen berries - repeat daily), and continued use of the Ca-Mg liquid. 

(b) Keeping up with diet and supplements

It's so important during the postpartum to eat good food (I do my best to accept all offers!), take my supplements, and keep a tall glass of water near me at all times. The postpartum is intense, both emotionally and physically, and it doesn't take much to turn my postpartum self into an emotional wreck. With that in mind....

(c) Guarding the postpartum space

Everything I have to say on this point can be found at this wonderful post. Enjoy!


And there you have it! If any readers have any great tips for preparing for childbirth, please do share them in the comments - I'd love to hear them!


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend! I bet you have a super-impressive list yourself!! :)

      Delete
  2. "Everything I have to say on this point can be found at this wonderful post. Enjoy!"

    This is my 2nd time reading your very helpful article but my 1st time clicking on the link you provided (in the sentence above) -- I was pleasantly surprised! I appreciate the link to my post!

    Thanks so much, Diana -- both for your great tips and for the link!

    From . . . . Jessica

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!