Monday, March 5, 2018

Carnitine and CoQ10 Supplementation for Hyperemesis Gravidarum Prevention


Here's another interesting nugget:

"Hyperemesis Gravidarum – Severe Morning Sickness: Are Mitochondria Involved?"

It's a fascinating article, and the take-away is the suggestion of pre-conception supplementation with L-carnitine and CoQ10. The suggested dosage can be found at another article from the same site on mitochondrial dysfunction and cyclical vomiting syndrome:

  • Co-enzyme Q10: Participants were treated with co-enzyme Q10 (ubiquinone) in liquid or gel capsule form (from a variety of brands) at a starting dose of 10 mg/kg/day, or 200 mg, divided twice a day, whichever is smaller. 
  • L-carnitine: Participants were treated with Carnitor brand or generics at a starting dose of 100 mg/kg/day divided BID, or 2 grams twice a day, whichever is smaller.

I think that this is a fascinating line of thought, and I am planning on adding both supplements to my regimen as of next month to see if there is a difference in our next pregnancy experience. (I will use this brand of L-carnitine (2 grams twice a day, for a daily total of 4 grams) and this brand of CoQ10 (100 mg twice a day, for a daily total of 200 mg).

Thoughts, anyone?

Happy Monday!

***

Later edited to add: I began dosing with L-carnitine and CoQ10 on April 18, 2018. For the present, I am using half the dosage mentioned above, for the unfortunate reason that supplements are just so expensive. Hoping for good things!


4 comments:

  1. Interesting! I shall consider this. Anything for a smoother ride, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I say! :) I'm willing to go with multiple prevention routes, just on the off-chance that any or all may make any difference!

      Delete
  2. I began this protocol months ago, and just found out I'm pregnant. I would love to know if this is working or has worked for anyone. I will keep you posted on my outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alessa, I am so sorry - I just discovered your comment in some weird folder of to-be-approved comments of which I wasn't notified. I apologize!

      Delete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!